Do you think you know all about addiction? You see people addicted to alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs, but you miss out one crucial killer that is destroying you, and it is junk food. There is no rehabilitation center to cure this addiction, but you can take the path to recovery on your own with the help of the following steps.
- Understand yourself: Nobody can judge you as well as you do and that is what you must start with to get rid of junk food. If you understand your psyche and specific cravings, then you can avoid those food items. Start by stopping yourself from storing junk items in your pantry. Research says that you eat what you can reach, so it is better to leave fries, shakes and other fast food items in the shop.
- Frame a plan: Every achievement requires a program, to begin with, and it is same with accomplishing recovery from the harm of junk food. Make a list of healthy foods and carry it with you every time you visit the mall. The layout of grocery stores can lead to over-buying of items, so you must keep a note of that too. Avoid the center aisles as much as possible which contain the packaged and processed foodstuffs.
- Chew, chew, and chew: Yes, it is a fact that if you start taking longer than you usually take to grab a bite, you’ll eat significantly less. This fact extends to all food items, even the junk stuff. The longer you take to chew the food the longer you’ll take to finish it. The brain, a highly unique organ, starts signaling that your belly is full roughly after half-an-hour. Attempt whiling away the time by chewing more and inevitably; you’ll start eating less.
- Hunger-inducing colors: Some of the most renowned and recognized fast food restaurant chains use colors like yellow, orange, and red. Science says that these shades induce a feeling of hunger queuing you to eat more. Keep those colors away from your eating areas and avoid using same-shaded cutlery or plates. Boring, nondescript plates don’t allow you to each as much as you can. Taking small sized plates will also lead to eating fewer portions.
- Knowledge brings in hate: Of course, the purpose of education is to reduce hatred, but it is a much-needed trait when it comes to getting rid of a junk food addiction. Read books, articles, or watch videos on the internet where everything is derogatory to fast and junk foods. Certain grubs have eye-drooling red and pink colors but know that those shades come from insects.
- Not banned: Food can be like a recreational drug at times, but when you start consuming it mindlessly, you become an addict. Nobody wants you to quit junk foods altogether, but indulge in it on cheat days. Eat some crappy food once a week or every ten days. In this way, you can satisfy untimely cravings while successfully avoiding its adverse effects.
Healthy and happy
The sole purpose of food is to maintain good health, but, as mentioned before, the brain works in mysterious ways, and that is what draws in the addiction. Train your mind with a strict action plan, and you will get back that healthy and happy Y-O-U back.